Outdoor Discoveries

It's amazing how things develop. After all, this blog started out as a news section for the rest of the website. With encouragement from readers, it has become a place for relating my countryside wanderings and musings about the world of outdoor activity. Walking, cycling and photography all are part of what I do out-of-doors and, hopefully, they will continue to inspire me to keep adding entries on here. Of course, there needs to be something of interest to you, dear reader, too and I hope that's the case. Thanks for coming.

Bank holiday trek to the Scottish Highlands

3rd May 2006

I took myself up to the Scottish Highlands for the May Day Bank Holiday weekend. I got there thanks to the overnight National Express 336 service to Glasgow and then the 07:00 Scottish Citylink departure to Fort William. Thanks to congestion on the motorways, the National Express service left Manchester an hour late but was only 15 minutes late when it got to Glasgow!

In spite of a load of bikers descending on Fort William for the weekend as they traditionally do, I managed to find somewhere to stay on Saturday night. Once I dropped off some of my stuff at the B&B, I caught a train from Fort William to Corrour. From Corrour, I walked along hill tracks by the side of Loch Treig and Allt na Lairige all of the way to Spean Bridge. Along the way, I got to pass through some pretty wild country but all was pleasant in the sunshine.

Next day, I left a cloudy Fort William on another Citylink coach and headed towards a sunnier Inverness before stationing myself in Pitlochry for the night after a train journey. My planning hadn’t got to booking my Sunday night accommodation on the Saturday and got a surprise when I found Inverness tourist office shut! The Fort William office was also shut but I already knew about that; Inverness though was unexpected, especially considering its recently gained city status. In the event, a quick call to Visit Scotland wasn’t long sorting things out.

When in Pitlochry, I did consider walking to the top of nearby Ben Vrackie but I arrived at my hotel at around 18:30 and I usually don’t start that kind of expedition at that hour of the evening. I did take in the fine evening with a short stroll but, next morning, it was raining lightly and I didn’t feel like carrying a heavy rucksack to the top of an 841 metres high mountain so I began a train journey home. Maybe one for another time then…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Please be aware that comment moderation is enabled and may delay the appearance of your contribution.