Old High Church & Free North Church, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland

Old High Church & Free North Church, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland

Behind these two churches lies the most obvious medieval remains of Inverness and very nice the streets look too. The Old High Church is on the left and it witnessed a bloody episode in its history with its use as a prison for Jacobite highlanders following Culloden prior to their execution by firing squad in its graveyard. These days, it is put to much more peaceful uses by the Church of Scotland. Next door is the grander looking Free North Church, now used by the Free Church of Scotland that broke away from the Kirk in 1843.

See more photos from: Northern Scotland