Continuing to the right of the building in the previous picture, we reach Buxton's former Thermal Baths. While the buildings now form a shopping arcade, the legend "THERMAL BATHS" is still prominent in the facade. Changing fashions, advances in medicine and the founding of Britain's National Health Service in the 1948 put paid to Buxton's spa trade and forced the change of use apparent in this case. In fact, the latter finished off the baths as a commercially viable concern. In stark contrast, the large bulk of the Palace Hotel appears in the background as if to remind us of the prosperity of the place in different times.