Ireland's oldest university, Trinity College, was founded by Queen Elizabeth in 1591 on the site of a dissolved monastery outside of the city's walls. There were plans for other colleges but these were never executed and we now have just Trinity on its own campus in the heart of Dublin.
Since its foundation, it has had many notable alumni: names such as Goldsmith, Swift, Grattan, Wilde and Synge are just a sample. Much of its architecture, though, dates from the mid-eighteenth century and was financed by the Irish parliament, hence the naming of the cobbled square before us in the photo. Beyond the campanile, one of Dublin's most photographed landmarks and possibly built on the site of an medieval priory church, lies the Library Square with the Old Library forming one of its boundaries.