The Caledonian Canal was built to get boats from one side of Scotland to the other through the Great Glen. It joins Loch Linnhe, Loch Lochy, Loch Oich and Loch Ness before reaching the Beauly Firth at Inverness. The canal was planned by Thomas Telford and opened to traffic in 1822. It was main route for traffic through the glen until roads offered a faster alternative. A railway was mooted but only ever got half way along the glen and was removed during one of the rationalisations undertaken by British Rail over the years. Nowadays, the canal is a haven for pleasure craft, especially during the summer months. The scenery that surrounds it and the pleasant lochs along the way easily explain the attraction.