Ha'penny Bridge, Dublin, Éire

Ha'penny Bridge, Dublin, Éire

One of Dublin's most noted landmarks, the Ha'penny Bridge, began it working life in 1816 officially known as Wellington Bridge, named after the 'Iron Duke' following the Battle of Waterloo. Its unofficial title arose from the toll of one halfpenny (240p made up £1 in those days) required to cross on it over the river Liffey. The bridge was cast at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire, England and was refurbished in 2001 after it was joined by the pedestrian-only Millennium Bridge further upstream in 2000. Currently, another pedestrian bridge is being built further downstream, not far from the Custom House, to allow access to Dublin's IFSC and docklands.

See more photos from: City of Dublin, Éire