The Minster (also known as St. Peter's Cathedral) probably is York's best known landmark, sitting as it does in the centre of the city within the old city walls: from which this photo was taken of a Firday afternoon in August of 2013. The dual naming of the church is due to its being the seat of an archbishopric (cathedral) and its being served by a team of clergy since Saxon times (minster). Nevertheless, it is the largest Gothic cathedral north of the Alps, a fact that is emphasised by its height above all of the other buildings in its vicinity. The current building results from a period of building elapsing over more than 250 years that ended in 1472. Nevertheless, keeping a building like this in a good state of repair has meant continuous upkeep ever since, especially when you consider that it has survived three fires, one of which resulted in the formation of the Minster Police in 1829. The scaffolding looks as if it is there permanently, such is the scale of the work needed, and that around the back of the building was there on a previous visit in December 2005!