Calton Hill from North Bridge, Edinburgh, Scotland

Calton Hill from North Bridge, Edinburgh, Scotland

This is a view of Calton Hill taken from the North Bridge that tries to belie the fact that wide road passes there. Of the left is Old Calton Cemetery with its obelisk, called the Political Martyr's Monument. That dates from 1844 and commemorates the transportation to Australia of five political reform campaigners for sedition in the late nineteenth century. Thankfully, they were allowed to return though fifteen years were to elapse before they did so. To the right of the pillar is the Nelson Monument; though they appear close together, the latter is in fact on the other side of Regent's Road! It was built in 1816 to commemorate victory at the 1805 Battle of Trafalgar. To its right is what remains of the old municipal prison: the governor's house. What takes up much of the site of the old jail is St. Andrew's House where the Scottish Government is based. It too pokes into the photo to its bottom right hand corner.

See more photos from this album (Edinburgh, Scotland)